Wednesday, April 8, 2009

This--Not That

My sidebar told me that it needed some love so I thought I would give you some of my opinions on what I have been reading/watching/listening to since some of it is crap and I wouldn't want to lead you astray.


Read THIS: ------------------------------> Not That

We just finished The Russian Concubine for book club (NICE pick Linda). It was a great read. It is set in early 1900's China, and follows and International Settlement of foreigners within a Chinese city. The story follows a young Russian girl who crosses the settlement lines to survive and crosses paths with a young Chinese man. There were great characters, and interesting story lines that kept me turning pages to the wee hours of the morning.

On the COMPLETE opposite side of the spectrum is Gossip of Starlings. This book was a bad combination of the book Prep and a poorly written episode of Gossip Girl. It is completely unbelievable that these girls are in High School and I pretty much hated every character in this book. The only reason I finished it is because I am crazy about not finishing books.


Watch THIS: ------------------------> Not That

Marley and Me is clearly not an Oscar contender and will not be winning any cinematic awards. But if you have every loved a pet, owned a pet, seen an animal, or just in general have a heart that is warm and beating, you will love this movie. I, having a very old--flirting with death every day--cat, bawled like a baby for the last 30 minutes of the movie. It was ugly. Amy can confirm.
The L Word Season 5 is horrible. I realize this TV series may not be everyone's cup of tea to begin with but Nate and I watched the first seasons and enjoyed them. This season--not so much. Horribly self-indulgent, bad acting, bad writing..bad bad bad.


Listen to THIS: Can't Stop to Follow by T90.
Yes, the ditty on Itunes might sound cheezy (Becca...) but I swear once you hear the beat, listen to the lyrics you will be flying down the road leaving any other runners in your dust.
Maybe you have to experience this song with Diva Doug to truly love it. But it is a keeper, and will be carrying me through every run I have.

That's all for now...let me know if you have any of your own recommendations! I will add them to my list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dick and Janes Run Spot Run the sequel to Border Collies gone bad to Tiajuana.
Uncle Todd