Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Great Pumpkin Patch

I am lucky enough to have 5, count them 5, pretty freakin fun girls on the Big G team (ok..to be fair one is a prior, but always honorary Big G mate). It isn't often that we all have a night free, let alone the same night free. Luckily, with a little enticing of the Vernon County Pumpkin Cartel pumpkins, and some well in advance planning, we were able to all get together on Thursday to partake in some festive fall activity.

I love how different everyone approaches the pumpkin carving.

You have the "uber prepared, stopped at Target to buy a special kit and special knives", KW.
The "I've never carved a pumpkin before, what do I do," JC.
The "I just want to make a basic pumpkin, but will add in some hair" DR
The "let me pick the absolute most complicated pattern in KW's book"--AW
And last but not least the " I just found out my church has the wrong date reserved for my wedding date, but let's drink some wine and carve some pumpkins anyway" KB.

And my approach--must keep with the cat theme in Lucy's honor. I did the whole 'meow with cat whiskers' last year so went with the back arching cat by the moon this year. Let's just say you can definitely tell I didn't use a template.

I had promised the girls candy corn infused vodka martini's but got a little freaked out when I realized the recipe called for egg whites. I didn't trust myself NOT to screw that up, and opted for the always fun 'make your own caramel apple bar.' Again, completely shocked that not one but TWO members of this crew had NEVER had a caramel apple before. Cleary they didn't live within driving distance of Sunrise Orchards growing up.
It is great to have friends on your work team that are so genuinely fun, get along so well and are truly friends. For how much time we all spend at the office each week it is nice to have people that you enjoy being around and can make work not seem like so much work!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY GERTIE...THOSE PUMPKINS SURE BEAT OUT THOSE WE CARVED WAY BACK WHEN IN THE GARAGE IN V-TOWN...AND WE HAD TO SAVE THE SEEDS TOO!!!...BUT IT WAS STILL FUN WHEN YOU AND REBECCA WERE SO 'LITTLE'...THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!! FANTASTIC JOB DONE BY ALL YOU GIRLS!!! EVEN THE NOVICE DID A GREAT JOB...HAPPY HALOWEEN....AND DON'T PARTAKE OF TOO MUCH CANDY!!! TOF

Anonymous said...

Great looking pumpkins! Truly a talented group. Put a twist on er for next year, take scuba lessons, then carve em underwater. No guts to clean up as the fish swarm in like pirana and what they don't eat returns to mother earth. A very earth friendly tree huggin granola way to carve pumkins.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Boy, Those Cartel pumpkins shure did perdy up once you girls gotsa hold of em...

dad

Online Printing Company said...

Hmm... apple caramel bars are so good... :)
The girls are very creative with the pumpkins. The skull one was my favorite, but the mummified face was awesome!