Sunday, October 4, 2009

DIY

I have been in the crafting mood lately. I have lots of ideas of what I would like to do but all of the projects seems so difficult or too much time. So in a brilliant stroke of luck I happened across a DIY website that had all sorts of fun projects that were seemlingly easy with a small amount of 'ingrediants' needed.

So Katie (who happily agreed to do a girl's craft night with me) and I headed to our trusty Michael's store sure we could find some ceramic squares that we could paint to create some sweet homemade trivets. But no..no ceramics anywhere.

What are two girls to do who had a clear craft plan and no other ideas? Obviously the answer is clear...teach ourselves how to knit. We got ourselves some yarn, some needles and a little dishcloth pattern.As we settled down into the basement, snuggled in with our patterns it took about .02 seconds for us to realize we were in way over our head.

So we did what any plugged in Millenial would do. We turned on the TV, opened TiVo, and did a YouTube search on how to knit. It was actually pretty brilliant if I do say so myself.

And so after almost 2 hours, we taught ourselves how to do the long tail cast-on. The happiness is palpable.





We didn't know if we were doing it right which was a problem. And we didn't know what the next stitch was after you cast-on. And then our hands started to hurt. So we stopped and determined we needed to learn from a professional. So if anyone out there knows how to knit and wants to give Katie and I a lesson let us know!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Cute! I give you a high five for resourcefulness. And for trying! :) I would love to learn to knit. I am not sure I could be patient enough?!

Debra Fiterman said...

Me, me, me!!! I know how to knit. I love to knit. I have successfully taught many people how to knit. Pick me pick me!!

Anonymous said...

My knitting days ended in about 5th grade. In girl scouts all we did was knit about 6 inch wide strips for the lepers. The length was determined by the amt of yarn on the spool. BOy that was a fun exciting yr. of Girl scouts. Too bad I don't remember who our leader was - she must've loved to knit....chances are she isn't alive or able to see well enough to knit anymore :) Go Debra! Love, Mom

rachel rosen said...

I ALSO know how to knit and enjoy it very much(I am not quite as skilled as Debra, but I can hold my own). I would be in for a knit-together anytime :-)