Monday, September 14, 2009

My Iron Man

Nate accomplished what many never will even attempt on Sunday when he completed his first half Iron Man.

I could not have been prouder of him through his 1.2 mile swim, 54 mile bike and 13 mile run.
It was a beautiful day for spectating, but hot as all get out for the competitors. I can't imagine what it takes to keep someone going through 6 hours of physical endurance. The will and strength to succeed and finish must be so great.

My country roots couldn't help but to capture this pituresque scene in rural Minnesota. Reminded me of good old Viroqua.

The run was ridiculous. It was a half-marathon on the side of an uber hilly highway with cars speeding past all of the runners. I kept thinking the organizers of the course should have made them all keep their bike helmets on while running, but then they would have all looked a little like Special Ed from Crank Yankers....ahh I am aging myself.


Anyway, back to the superstar...Nate plowed through the run and didn't quit. Here he is bringing it up the last hill into the home stretch:

I admire my husband for his courage to try, his attitude to start, and his perseverance to finish. He didn't quit. He didn't falter. He didn't even ask for my iPod. And I offered it to him every 2 miles.

Here he is with the buddy he trained with showing off his much greater manliness amount of chest hair. Oooo...so sexy. We have a sew job for Mom too because Nate's jersey took a rough beating out there...
Congrats Honey...I am amazed by you and can't wait to see what you do next.

10 comments:

Meghan said...

Congrats Nate!! I'm so proud that you are related to you! and woo hoo Greta for being super fan! You guys are great for each other!!

That Kind of Girl said...

Whoa, that's amazing! Huge shot of inspiration! (And also makes me feel like a bit less of a saint for taking the stairs instead of the escalator today, lol!)

Anonymous said...

Nice work Nate. Way to push yourself and finish. Greta nice photos with the Kodak 110.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

YOU THE MAN NATE!!!! We'll toast your accomplishments next week on the Chip!!!

Reid

Anonymous said...

Congrats Nate! I am so proud of you. Can't wait to spend a few days together up north. Hopefully Nate (or Greta or I) will catch our 1st Muskie :) Seems like the crappie jigs are working just as well as the muskie plugs.
Love, Mom

Scorpicon said...

Nice job and all, Nate, but can you win at Blokus? That's the _real_ test of a man!

Kate said...

Way to go, Nate!! That's an amazing accomplishment!

Becca said...

HOORAY! I was so looking forward to seeing some of these pictures and hearing more about Nate's amazing adventure. Nate - you ARE an inspiration. It is so cool that you just continue to raise the bar and then leap the hell over it. Congrats.

and for the record - your chest hair is nice. I gotta man that shaves his for his crazy sports addiction!

Amy J said...

Dear sweet baby jesus, please bless Nate for his awesomeness!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Nate!!! You know, you have a friend in new orleans who did a half iron man too! She'd love to talk about it and get back in touch with you.