Sunday, May 31, 2009

13.1

I completed my first half-marathon today and as I write this blog post I feel content, accomplished and admittedly a little sore.

The race started at the butt-crack of dawn (7AM) which mean a VERY early wake-up call. I literally could not have ordered better weather. I met up with my running buddy Katie and we headed to the start line. Both of our virgin voyages in the 'marathoning' world, we were pretty nervous.

For some reason I am an extremely afflicted runner. My body can handle the mileage. My brain on the other hand cannot. Without fail, this voice kicks in with about 4 miles to go on any of my long runs no matter what the distance is and tells me to quit. Tells me I can't do it. Tells me that it is less of a let down to quit now then have to quit later because I will ultimately I have to quit. It's like I have this weird evil-naysayer dwelling in my sub-conscious. And about mile 9 today the voice got loud. "You can't do this. You aren't going to be able to finish."


But lucky for me, and to my imaginary enemy's shagrin, I had a kick-ass running partner who kept me going and a full blown cheering squad that was able to station themselves to cheer for us FIVE times. And I needed it.
The course was SUPER hilly. Had I known perhaps I would have ran a few hills during my training. Note to self: if I do another one, check out the course ahead of time.

But at the end of the 2 hours and 9 minutes, I prevailed and crossed the finish line.
What got me through:
1) An always optimistic, cheery and encouraging running partner.
2) A killer cheering squad

3) Some sweet signs that Nate made, that came in handy when it came time for cheering: "K-Bo, G-Rock"

5) A Bedazzled Bandana. To be fair, I didn't know it was bedazzled until after the race, but I could tell it was something special. Seriously...that is some cheer squad dedication. Katie is a professional though! Plus, I got some post-race kisses.


I hope with each run, regardless of a race entry or not, I can eliminate the nag of impossibility.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO GERTIE!!!!! GREAT TIME TOO!!! KNEW YOU COULD DO IT DESPITE YOUR BRAIN'S DESIRE TO STOP...YOU DO HAVE WILL OF IRON ...AND BODY TOO....CONGRATS!!! TOF FROM IOWA...GOOD CHEERING SQUAD TOO...

Becca said...

Hooray! I was so happy to see you've blogged already! I am SO proud of you....you did awesome. I loved the cheering squad...I will have to be a part of it next time! Or better yet, we'll RACE next time together...can't wait. Congrats, you had a such a great time...I'm glad you could power through. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great mile stone (er ah 13.1 mile stones...)
Perhaps you should read Cybil to develope a cast to battle the evil nay sayer that trundles about your gray matter.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Way to go Greta!!!! Good to see you have the Ekern gene's to fight on, and are mentally strong enough to fight off the little guy on your shoulder telling you "you can't do this" I'm really proud of you!!! Mom said you looked great at the end!!

dad

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Race! You can definately ignore or tell the evil brain monster to leave...you have been determined to accomplish MANY goals in the past 10+ years and I don't think you have failed yet!!!!
You looked awesome and strong - beginning to end. Loved being a spectator, Mom

Nate Hanson said...

It was a really fun race to spectate! You did so awesome and looked great! My favorite part was when Sophie (Katie's dog), after some encourgement from us, was quietly howling while we were cheering for K-BO and G-Rock! Super fun, can't wait for you to do another one!

emily said...

AWESOME JOB GRETA!!!