Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nigella Express: Episode 12

Memorial Day weekend called for a BBQ-friendly Nigella recipe, and so we decided to try our hand at: New Orleans Coleslaw.

Now, to be completely honest, I hate coleslaw. In general, I do not touch the stuff if it comes to me via a little plastic container next to a burger, or other culinary delight at a restaurant.



In fact, I like it so little I am perplexed as to why we would try to make it at home. But we did, and it was my idea...so go figure. I really think it was because Nigella's picture made it look my like a salad than coleslaw, so I was fooled.

See for yourself.



What I REALLY don't understand is that the recipe called for white cabbage, but I used green cabbage. So why, does her cabbage look green and mine white?
Nate and I made this for a lunch BBQ that didn't happen, so we had loads leftover. We learned that this is much better the 2nd day, and maybe even the third. After that...questionable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a guess at the cabbage challenge. White cabbage is really not white, a bit of an oxymoron? Also it may depend on how deep into the cabbage was used vs parts closer to the surface. Or did she use a quick blanching method? We do know who shot JR but not JFK. How do they get those red things in olives?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

it's always better the 2nd/3rd day because it FERMENTS like beer...yeah for cabbage...think sauerkraut...TOF