Friday, May 29, 2009

Things That Make You Go Hmmmm....

Nate's secret date last night. It was interesting. And eye-opening.
Enter the wonderful world of Velodrome Racing, taking place in "suburb" Blaine (and by suburb, I mean practically in Canada).


Yes..that's right. Bike racing. Not Motor-bike, or dirt bike..but bike bikes. Two wheels, pedals, no engine bikes. And a really weird track with super high corners.I didn't even know anything like this existed, but now Nate is all jazzed about it and I am pretty sure we are moving to Blaine so Nate can be a Pro-velodrome racer. There was a small-town feel that reminded me of home. They handed out four free raffle tickets where you could 'bet' on a racer and if that racer won you got entered into a drawing for some local hotspot coupons.

But my favorite part of the event was the scoreboard. That is, a chick wearing high heels that manually changed the laps that the racers were on, and an announcer on a microphone who called out who was in the lead. Very high-tech.

But in all honesty, we really did have a good time. I can't say I am itching to go back every Thursday, but that's what SDN is all about, trying new things together.

And, there was a little bit of an "old thing" too! We hit up Mesa Pizza in Dinkytown before heading out into the middle of nowhere. For those of you who enjoyed Ian's Pizza in Madison, it is the same pizza, same owner. YUM....mac n' cheese pizza.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you could fit one of those Velodrome tracks in your back yard...might be tough on the garden, but I bet the bunnies would leave.....I've seen this on T.V. a couple of times...get some real good pile ups now and then.
Have a great weekend! Good Luck on your Half!!
dad

Anonymous said...

HOW NEAT!!!! I WOULD ENJOY THAT BIKE RACING...THE BANKING IS QUITE SOMETHING....BUT THE PIZZA SOUNDS INTERESTING TOO...YOU GUYS DO SOME PRETTY NEAT THINGS I MUST SAY...TOF

emily said...

funny. nick wanted to hit ian's on monday when they were leaving our house. we had to remind him that it was a little out of his way...

emily said...

OH, and KICK THAT HALF IN THE BUNS!!! good luck, g.

Becca said...

Hehehe. Nice scoreboard. Love that. And even thought I ate like 10 trazillion calories this weekend that mac n cheese pizza still looks damn tasty. :0