Thursday, May 7, 2009

6 Hours

My semester is drawing to a close, and I couldn't be happier.

6 freakin hours and it is done. Amen to that.

It has been an interesting 'finish line' as the group I am working on for my International Strategies class in interesting to say the least. As interesting as Fletcher from my first semester who "lived his life in 15 minute increments, so don't blame him if he is 14 minutes late"? Maybe not.

But I have never met a person who was in grad school who was so unwilling to do actual work. This guy first says he thinks we shouldn't assign parts of the paper and just all 'free flow' write into a shared document. Which we essentially try to do.

Fast forward two weeks when Greta has to put the hammer down and basically call out the paper for pile of crap it is. What response do I get from my classmate free-writing friend: " I had really hoped we could write this more collaboratively." Right. And what you mean is I had really hoped someone would just write the whole freakin thing.

Then top it off with a conversation last night where the paper is still crap (and due today at 5PM) and I throw out "Can we all just agree on basic paragraph structure where the first line of the paragraph should hold the MAIN MESSAGE?"

Wonderful classmate friend: "No. I cannot agree to that."

REALLY? Seriously?

And that is when I realized it was hopeless and have started to countdown the hours, minutes, seconds until it was officially 'summer break'

Andt he best part of it is this guy that sucks on a major level is a University employee, therefore is getting is education for FREE, AND has to publish his salary and he is making $140,000 a year.

Fabulous. Maybe if I was pulling in $140 G's I wouldn't care about proper sentence structure, basic spelling or grammar, or being even an ounce accountable for any of my grad school work either.

4 comments:

Nate Hanson said...

Greta, don't hold back. Tell me how you really feel! :) Glad you're almost done Honey, it will be nice to have you around during the weekdays!

Meghan said...

I know how you feel. Working with slackers SUCKS! I'm a copywriter who is playing the art director role 75% of the time. It doesn't matter if you don't know what that means...but it's the same - the Ekern girls are responsible and smart and know how to get stuff done and these other people were raised by people who have no work ethic. Our parents taught us well! As for your partner he can shove his 140,000 up where the sun don't shine! :) Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear the kids in my family have great work ethic and care about things. A job worth doing is worth doing well. Many people just don't get it. Many are SLeRKs (spoiled little rich kids). When all is said and done you only have to be accountable to yourself and God. If you are ok with the job you have done because of your efforts, you should be good. It is kind of like peeing while wearing dark pants...it gives you a nice warm feeling and nobody notices. Keep up the good work and give em hell Harry!
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Do you want me to bring up the Vernon County boys and give this guy a grubbing???? Ah, yes...there are so many on this fine earth who feel entitled, and expect so much while doing so little...Clueless now, clueless forever..
see ya in a few hours!!!
dad