Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Things I still miss from college....5 years later.

I decided it was time for my first "list of the month" post. I was running around all day hosting a UW-Madison Shadow Day at work which meant two things. First, I couldn't make any lists all day long and I have some pent-up list making aggression. Second, being around bright-eyed (once they got past 9AM) college students made me realize how much I still miss college. And, since I wil be celebrating my official 5-year anniversary at General Mills in a few weeks I thought this was timely.

1) Football Saturdays
        There was nothing better than football days, even if it meant waking up to some loud annoying girl yelling "Badgers...Woo!" over and over again. Madison has a pulsing energy, luring you to get outside at 8AM and start chugging beers, or in my case something without beer in the name. There were rivalries, inappropriate cheers, and general school spirit. Every fall, when football season starts, my heart feels a little pang of jealousy for all those students who are setting their alarms to start the celebration as early as possible.



2) Helen C. White Marathon Sessions
     I'm not going to try to hide anything. The full disclosure, honest-to-god truth was I was a serious book-nerd in college. Apparently I didn't inherit my Dad's gift for skipping every class and getting an A. This lead me to full-day and night marathon session at the only library in the US voted by Playboy as the #1 place to pick up a member of the opposite sex. I loved studying in the middle of all the chaos. I saw my sister there with her now husband Nick, but I seem to remember more flirting than studying, but hey..she scored Nick.

3) Safewalk
     Hands down best college job. Sure it meant working nights until 1AM or 3AM, but it also involved amazing friends, hilarious stories, some exercise, and walkie talkies. What's not to love?


4) Sleeping-in until 11
    A critical component of working until 3AM was sleeping in. MAN..do I love sleeping. But sleeping in just doesn't have the same allure now that I pretty much have 48 hours of free time on the weekend. If I spend 25 of those hours sleeping how can I get my big girl stuff done like laundry, groceries, cleaning and paying the bills?


5) Living with Girls
    I love my husband. And in general he is a VERY good housemate, but there is nothing like living with a bunch of girlfriends. Always someone there up for anything. Someone to watch a chick movie with you? Always. Someone to go on a Clary's Popcorn run? Always. And getting ready with girls is the most fun part of going out. Crank the tunes, try on a bunch of clothes, drink some good cocktails. Bliss.



6) New Textbooks
    Again, not trying to hide my dorkiness. I LOVED going to the bookstore to get my new textbooks. It helped that I had amazing parents who paid for my textbooks so I didn't have sticker shock. There was something about the promise of a new semester, a fresh start to make first impressions, learn new things, get better grades, meet new people, etc. You just don't get that in your adult life, especially if you are like a loyal lap dog staying at your first job out of college for 5 years.


8) Halloween
     If you haven't experienced a Madison halloween this will be lost on you. If you haven't experienced a Madison halloween between the years of 2000-2004 this will be lost on you. I was there during the heyday. I think 3 of my 4 years ended in a riot on State Street...one of which I was heroically 'protecting' my Aunt and Uncle's Hallmark store (while under the influence, dressed as Tinkerbell and wearing my roommates Mullet wig).


You thought I was exaggerating the Tinkerbell with Mullet wig didn't you.....

Ahhhhh.....College.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 5 year mark at General Mills. During Safewalk what was your handle for the walkie talkie? When I am on the air at the hospital I am chief mola mola. As for the mullet wig...oh yeah mine was real. Pink polo shirt (collar rolled up...duh) and parachute pants. I was hot for like 10 minutes one night. College was fun...both times.
Uncle Todd

That Kind of Girl said...

Oh man, outrageous Halloweens, sleeping in (freshman year, I was known to occasionally sleep in 'til 2 or 3pm) and walkie-talkies? Sounds just like my college experience. Siiigh, I miss it.

Too bad we can't work out an arrangement to do all of our laundry and grocery shopping FOR LIFE in our early 20s, then can go back and do college later, when we'd enjoy it more.

Heather Rose said...

Love the Halloween pics. So fun! I miss a lot from college, too. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Awww! Love the pics gert..brings back some good memories! I miss college too...maybe it's why I never left madison!
miss ya!
rachel

Becca said...

OHHH god that last picture of you is priceless. Man....love it. I often yearn for the college days too. SAFEwalk was the bomb. Thank you Emily forever for getting both Ekern girls into the fold. Love Madison, Loved college....I didn't have the fondness for the studying and new textbooks....but that's what makes you so special! :)