Sunday, January 31, 2010

28 Hours

Our trek around the world started our quite eventfully as we were quickly reduced by 25% due to some weird passport rule that requires your passport to be valid 6 months after your travel. And of course, this could only happen to one Ryan Plonske. Everyone sprang to action calling his ride back, figuring out the emergency, passport office (thank you Mr. Pawlenty). If anyone could have talked his way into that office without an appointment and made it happen it was Ryan. So we departed a man down and said a prayer that we would actually see Ryan in Thailand.

The first leg of the journey was 12 hours to Tokyo, and I was determined to overcome my inability to sleep on flights and popped 2 "Simply Sleep" pills before take-off, and it worked like a dream. All of these things I brought with me to keep me occupied went untouched as I slept for 5 solid hours. Woke up to some nasty airplane food that Nate had selected for me, and promptly drifted back to sleep. Nate was kind enough to let me build a little nest and lucky for me I curl into a ball quite easily.

 
The flight went surprisingly quick, but as the slow realization that we still had eight more hours between Tokyo and Bangkok began to sink in, I began to panic a little thinking there was no way I could sleep on THAT leg of the flight. Wrong. Slept 5 more hours, and then read almost an entire book and BAM..the flight was over like that.

Nate really came out the worst on this deal because I fell asleep with my head in his lap, and his arm trapped, and he said he 'feared the ants in the pants Greta' too much to wake me up to free his hand. 

Unfortunately there were no good stories coming out of the flight to make this blog fun and exciting (Except of course the guy that had to get asked to quit drinking, and the guy that said "You DUMBFU**" so loud it sucked all the noise out of the plane)...but I don't think you want a flight to be exciting and eventful.

As the wheels of the plane came down in Bangkok, Nate put "One Night In Bangkok" on the Ipod, and I looked at him and said "Holy Shit...we are in Asia".....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Ryan finally caught up with you guys....Should make for a great story when we get the details...Have fun BE SAFE

Dad