Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cooking Light: Episode 3

Epic fail in the Hanson kitchen. And it is NOT because of the geniuses at Cooking Light had a slow day. It was because of Target. Yes, the company that employs my husband.

Let me back up. Nate and I decide to try our hand at Shrimp and Broccoli Fried Rice. The lesson this week was how to stir-fry. Now we fancy ourselves a pretty killer stir-fry without a cook-book, which is why we skipped right past the basics and went to the fried rice, and kicked it up a notch with shrimp (vs. our standard chicken).

So I take my list to Target, where I buy their Archer Farms brand of shrimp to the exact specifications that the recipe called for (i.e. UNCOOKED, deveined). See exhibit A:


Fast forward about 40 minutes after prepping and cooking the entire meal (complete with cooking and freezing the rice to make it sticky..neat trick!). We are ready to put the cherry of our meal onto the sundae..or in this case the shrimp onto the rice and GASP! This is what we find:



Half of the bag was uncooked and half of the bag was cooked. Now, to be clear you have to cook the uncooked shrimp longer than the already previously cooked and then frozen shrimp. So when you add it in all together half of the shrimp either come out tough and nasty (which is what we opted to do) or half come out undercooked.

Either way, we were NOT happy with this meal, because not only were half the shrimp tough, but they tasted disgustingly fishy.



Ironically, as soon as I took a few bites and realized it wasn't going to work for me I turned to the treat I bought for us, which also happened to be an Archer Farms product:


Now, I am NEVER a person to call and complain about a consumer packaged good but this was so obviously a mistake Target, and shrimp isn't cheap. So I call the handy dandy consumer services number and this is where Target's epic fail for the night comes in:

1) I call the number.
2) I am prompted through about 7 different menu options.
3) I finally get to my topic, and I press #3 for the last time only to hear: "I'm sorry but our offices aren't open. Our hours are...."

REALLY Target? You couldn't put that message at the BEGINNING of your call-line menu? ARGH....

If Nate didn't get a bi-weekly check from this company, I would call for a boycott of Target. But since he does, and since mine come from Genearl Mills I feel totally justified calling for a boycott of Archer Farms. Still shop at Target people...just buy General Mills food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Todd is the Shrimp Guru...I'm sure he will have some very good suggestions....
Lucy is settling in very well...no death howls last night...

Anonymous said...

WELLL...I'M JUST GA-GA!!! IT'S GOOD TO SEE YOU MARKETING PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE WITH STORES/PRODUCTS JUST LIKE THE REST OF LOWLY FOLKS..IT'S USUALLY JUST BETTER TO TAKE THE HIT INSTEAD GOING THOUGH "SELECTION HELL' ON THE PHONE...GLAD TO SEE LUCY MADE IT TO GOD'S COUNTRY OK...NO NITE HOWLS...BUT BE THE AIR!!! HAVE A GREAT TRIP YOU TWO...TOF

Anonymous said...

Should I ask Sean if he has the name of the buyer for shrimp? You could speak to the source directly!!

Marie

Anonymous said...

Ok, the bag said uncooked shrimp, and you found some cooked shrimp mixed with uncooked shrimp. I believe one of a couple of things happened. Mix up in what product - cooked vs uncooked going to what baggers, or perhaps they use the same hoppers to feed the baggers when running cooked vs uncooked product. Either way this mixing of cooked and uncooked product should not have happened. As for the fishy taste, that could come from decomposition as we don't know a time line of how long the cooked and uncooked product spent what time where. Personally I would not have consumed the product. Target just sells the stuff Archer provides. A google search on Archer food recalls shows a lot of product, but not shrimp, well not yet. You must now contact Archer and report this to save someone getting sick or worse. Hopefully you saved the bag for product lot numbers etc. You may start a nation wide recall...how fun!
Uncle Todd

Becca said...

Sounds like a disaster.
I am not really a fan of shrimp to begin with so I think I would have been SUPER grossed out.
LAME TARGET.
The ice cream sounded pretty good though! ;) And I am TOTALLY okay with eating ice cream for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you should call and report it. That is the only way they will know and you are all about savings....they will refund your purchase. Love Mom