Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Recession Proof January

After a December loaded with Holiday glee and a purchase of a new TV, I have declared January the month of strict spending. We are in a recession after all..

So what does this mean for us?

1) Cafe Target is a no go. Nate frequents this fine establishment often throughout the week for an overpriced coffee, popcorn, other tasty treats etc. I also am 'banned' from my cafeteria but on the whole I rarely go down there anyway.

2) Weekend Projects. Since we aren't spending money going to the movies, eating out, etc that means we have gotten a lot done around the house. Nate cleaned his bike up so it is shiny and new. I cleaned and organized a bunch of cupboards, did laundry, etc. It may not be super fun, but when the weather gets nice and everyone else is spring cleaning, you will find Nate and I at some rooftop bar drinking some summery drinks.

3) Soup Sunday. We are on our 2nd week of making a huge batch of soup on Sunday afternoon. This soup serves as dinner on Sunday night, and lunches for the rest of the week (see #1). We made a Currried Carrot soup last week and are making my Mom's Chicken Tortilla tonight. YUM! And as an added bonus, verry healthy!

4) Coupons. No change here...I have always been a coupon Nazi..and will forever be a coupon Nazi. If you can save the money, why not? I know....give me a perm, color my hair purple, and issue me an AARP card immediately.

5) Mall Avoidance. Let's face it...there is little to do in Minnesota when it is 5 degrees outside. Malls provide lots of opportunities to kill time, but I can't pass up a deal. So...call this deal avoidance. This goes for any retail store, except Target. We can justify our Target expenses as helping to boister Nate's job security.

We aren't being 100% dedicated to this. If anything comes up with friends, work, etc that requires dollars to be dropped no biggie. Nate had a happy hour for someones birthday and the sky did not fall in 3 beers later.

We are just trying to make up for our extreme consumerism last month. And hey..if you're in our neighborhood..stop by because the soup's on!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY THERE..WHAT'S WITH #4..THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH AN AARP CARD...AND PURPLE HAIR AIN'T SO BAD EITHER..BETTER THAN NO HAIR...GOOD RESOLUTIONS KIDS...AND GOOD LUCK WITH THAT...AT LEAST I KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A GOOD BOWL OF SOUP!! LOVE TO YOU BOTH AND HAVE A GOOD WEEK...TOF FROM IOWA

emily said...

love the post, but more importantly i see that you are listening to willie nelson duets. YES!!!! have you heard his duet with bonnie raitt (titled "you remain")?? it is one of my all time faves.

Anonymous said...

Love the soup Sunday thing! Will you share some of the recipies with me??

Anonymous said...

Go to the mall of America and see underwater world. It is the closest you will come to scuba diving without getting wet, or you can sign up to dive there but it is pricey.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

You gotta always have a plan....Plans are good...good luck on your plans....!!!

Bundle up and stay warm...I suspect Nate won't be riding the shiny bike to work this week....:)!!!

Dad

Greta Hanson said...

Some more info:

1) Yes..am loving the Willie duets and defintely You Remain..such a great song.

2) I will absolutely post the recipes. Look for them in a future post.

3) Did underwater world with Finn Uncle Todd. I have to say the Caribbean vibe was lacking...

4) Yes..Nate is ridiculous enough to ride his bike to work this week. At least he did today. Can someone else please talk some sense into him?

Anonymous said...

Nate, get some premium and log onto biketiresdirect.com. order up some studded bike tires. then ride like the wind. You could ride to the Dairy Queen in the blizzard and purchase a blizzard on sale (they should have blizzards on sale when a blizzard is in progress) all the while singing floyd "I've got a bike you can ride it if you like it's got a basket a bell that rings and things to make it look good..."
now theres some good sense.
Uncle Todd

Nate Hanson said...

Studded tires lack the "need for speed" I require for commuting. The good ol' slicks do just fine, plain old smart riding has reduced my numbers of spills to 3, down from 17 last year. Yeah to 82% reduction so far this year.

Anonymous said...

Nate, keeping it old school on slicks, nice work. Way to implement the anti-gravity program.
Uncle Todd

Becca said...

You my dear family members are hilarious. It is this clever banter that I enjoy time after time. Love you ALL! MUAH!