Monday, January 12, 2009

Nigella Express: Episode 2

We had a major breakthrough in the kitchen tonight. Our 2nd Nigella recipe did NOT disappoint and more than made up for some less than enthusing muffins last week.
We were pursuaded to make this recipe by the description:
"This is a lunch for the gods, and a pretty divine dinner, outside on a balmy night"

Since we aren't leaving for the warm waters of Mexico anytime soon, we thought we would try to capture as much of a taste of warm weather as possible.

So we made Mexican Chicken Salad and Tomato and Black Bean Salsa.



Seriously delicious. The salad has a homemade dressing that is made up of ripe avacados, sour cream, garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper. This dressing is definitely going to be a staple in our household now.

You toss that with romaine, 1 lb. of jicama a load of cilantro, shredded chicken and voila! Delicious meal.

The salsa was good as well and with the jalapenos it gave the salad the extra zip it needed!
Nigella quote of the week: " I had never even heard of jicama before, but I phoned the greengrocer and he said they were available at the market"
And if I do say so myself, Nate is quite the food photographer. The pictures are getting exponentially better. Now I just need to work on my food styling!

4 comments:

Nate Hanson said...

Just wait until I come home with a Digital SLR! Then we'll I'll probably have to charge for pictures they be so professional! ps - I just had these leftovers for lunch and it was sooo good.

Anonymous said...

Must be time for another progressive dinner. January?
Stay warm, Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Great Plan, progressive dinner!!! Good Sh$t for desert...

dad

Becca said...

I thought it before I read it. Nate you are indeed getting an eye for the food styling! Great job. And when you are out purchasing Digital SLRs would you mind picking me up one? Thanks!