Friday, January 16, 2009

17 Day Check-In

Did you know that most New Years resolutions are blown after just 17 days? I honestly didn't and just learned it awhile ago on the job.

So in the spirit of tomorrow being the 17th, I thought I would check-in on a few of my New Years resolutions.

1) Read 36 Books.
This comes out to 3 books per month. So far..I've got 3 completed (102 Minutes, Dewey and Eclipse), and am underway with the fourth (In The Woods) for January. Nothing like starting the year out with a little cushion!
Status: CHECK--progress underway

2) Run 1st Half Marathon.
My friend Katie and I are going to run the Minneapolis Half on May 31st. Training starts in March. Here's hoping we hit 20 degrees by then.
Status: Can't say I've blown it yet.

3) Volunteer More
I have been hiding behind the ruse of "I just haven't found the right opportunity for volunteering" the last 2 or so years, so this is the year to take action. My first event is Monday the 19th and it is for an organization "Bundles of Love". It's only for an hour, but I got a few friends to do it with me so it shoudl be fun.
Status: So far so good.

4) Educate myself on Investing
Yawn. Ugh. Don't want to do it. I know it is important, but I would so rather do pretty much anything else.
Status: What do you think?

5) Plant, Harvest and Consume 1st Full Garden
Nate and I started in on this resolution early in 2008 by ripping up all of our hastas to make way for vegetable garden this summer. Planting isn't where the resolution comes in. The challenge will be in actually making this thing grow (anyone know how to get rid of rabbits) and committing to eating all of the healthy goodness it will reap.
Status: Too early to say, but I have a good feeling.

Well that is the round-up. I realize many of these haven't been put to the test yet, but for a 17 day check-in I am feeling pretty good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll help with the rabbit problem...Vernon County CIA super sniper will set up camp...

Good job on your resolutions!! Learning how to invest can be really exciting, especially when all you are doing is losing money....AAGHHHH!!!!

dad

Becca said...

Way to go Gert! I have slipped bhind my more blogging last week and KNOW I am still not drinking enough water. You HAVE always been the more diligent one. SHUCKS. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Coyote urine....seriously. My Dad uses it to keep the deer and rabbits out of his prized landscaping. He hangs little vials of the stuff on stakes around the yard and it seems to work. Not really sure were he gets it but it might be worth looking into.

Anonymous said...

Cool you kids are working the garden. I was going to suggest a sniper, but Reid is on it. I do believe Carl from Caddy Shack had it right. C4 in the shape of the critters. Don't forget to nuke the yard for them dam beetles. Nuke early and often.
Uncle Todd