Monday, May 24, 2010

Pomp and Circumstance

After 3 and a half years, I am done with school (forever!) and have finished my MBA. I decided to forego walking in a stuffy ceremony, and instead thought a fun summertime BBQ was the best way to go. Nate and i had a few requests for an "Iron Chef: 2" party (see recap of our first one here).

I'm sure it won't surprise you to learn that I have competitive friends...so the stakes were high. I was receiving emails about 'practice runs', 'rule clarification' and 'judging process.' It was intense. The spread of food was vast, and I can promise you no one went hungry.

The only real problem was deciding how often to go back for more, and how much more to take.

My Dad nurtured his dish all day....some super top secret Ribs...which took home the grand prize of 'best overall!' Hopefully he isn't rubbing it into my Mom too bad. Never fear, for she won best "Sinful Dish" for her Death by Chocolate. What can I say? We eat good in my family!


It was so much fun to get everyone together to enjoy the weather. I am grateful for whoever it was that was up there putting in a good word to Mother Nature. The morning was cold and rainy. By party time...80 and sunny.


Winner of Best Presentation: Rachel Rosen!!

Nobody had more fun that my Nate. Grill master extraordinaire....turned Beer Pong extraordinaire.
And then Sir Puke-aholic.

I pity anyone who was his beer pong partner after about 8:30 that night. Not quite as much as I pity myself (or my saintly mother who cleaned up his vomit at midnight) for having to deal with him all night long...but what can I say? He sure knows how to celebrate!

Check out Janet's Pong moves...she also gets an award for playing Beer Pong with 3 intoxicated men and holding her own!


One of the best parts of the weekend was how much time I got to spend with Finn and spoil him with all sorts of great Auntie Candy treats: Cotton Candy, licorice, and Hamburer Cake!

And I got to hang out with my newest nephew---still in my Sister's Belly but in attendance nonetheless!

It is always sad when everyone heads home and 'real' life begins again. Thanks to everyone who came out to help me celebrate!

5 comments:

Meghan said...

damn i missed the hamburger cake!? Looks like you had a fun party!! Sorry I couldn't make it back - but I'll be seeing you soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So how do you get an elephant into a safeway shopping cart?
Looks like it was a great party. We need to have 3-D holographic transportational blogging so everyone could sample food...maybe in a couple of years...
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

It was a great time!! Not many mother in laws I know would have stepped up to the plate like N..Lucky for Nate his mother in law really likes him:))!!! Plus she probably saved his life by not starting the dishwasher!!

dad

Anonymous said...

Congrats again Gert on a BIG accomplishment! The party was great and it was so nice to meet some more of your friends. Too bad for Nate but Paul will be happy that he isn't the only puker in the family! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

MOM NACY POURED...AND GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL...ISN'T THAT HOW IT GOES IN THE LUTHERAN CHURCH??? DID NATE HAVE A GOOD TIME??? DID I SURMISE CORRECTLY???... LOOKED LIKE FUN TIME...CONGRATS GERTIE...GIVE BE A HEADS UP FOR NATE'S A LITTLE SOONER...TOF