Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ruminations

In the last 7 nights, I have only spent 3 of them at home. Between work trips, and travels to visit friends it has been a jet-setting filled week. I love the thrill of leaving the standard life that I lead every day even if it is for the smallest change-up (like an overnight in Stillwater). Would it get old if it were constant? Absolutely. But that is why I love my job. It is such a perfect mix of new and old, challenge and comfort.

While I love the sense of 'getting away' and something new, I also love it for the feeling of return. Return to home. Return to routine. Return to normal. As I sit on my couch at 3:45PM after a long two-day offsite with Lucy in my lap, work emails handled, and a cup of tea, I am anxiously awaiting Nate's arrival home.

It is true what they say: absence makes the heart grow fonder. While my heart is already quite fond of my wonderful husband, I find myself with a little extra oomph! in my step to get home to see him once I have been away. And we always settle into our normal routine. It's not like we hit the town and have a lavish date night because we haven't seen each other. It's just us. It's dinner. It's comfy clothes. It's inside jokes. It's the moan and drone of daily life.

I guess my point is that if daily life, even with its ups and downs, can be something you look forward to, are excited about and even pine to get back to because of the person you are going through daily life with...THAT is how you know you have found the perfect match.

6 comments:

Nate Hanson said...

What a great wife! Ten bucks says she has fresh baked cookies waiting for me when I get home. Any takers?

Greta Hanson said...

If I were anyone out there I would take that bet. It would be an easy $10 in your pocket since I most definitely will NOT have warm cookies in the oven when Nate gets home.

Anonymous said...

You are exactly right on the mark Greta!!! Like Finn says "NATE IS GREAT"!!! I'm off to the CHIP!!!
Hope there isn't anything serious with the Passat...

dad

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Dad, You 2 make a great team and couple. Nate is Great and Greta is Nice per Finnegan. Maybe when Greta is 50 she will have cookies waiting for Nate. Hopefully 1 of my girls will have my love of baking! Love, Mom

emily said...

sweet post, friend. marriage with the perfect match is a wonderful thing, especially when the going gets tough. so glad that greta has a nate.

Becca said...

Sweet post hon. Love you both.