Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nigella Express: Episode 14

Please indulge me as I try to sum up our Nigella experience in two words:

EPIC FAIL.


I blame a bad google on the substitution of rice malt syrup. I found some wierd substitution site and they said we could substitute Molasses for said rice malt syrup, but when I tell you taking a bite of our version of Lunchbox Treats was like putting your straw into the bottle of molasses and taking a big swig, I promise I am not overexagerating.

Yuck.

Plus, we couldn't get these suckers to form into balls to save our lives. So granola 'bars' it was..until they all got relegated to the trash..where quite honestly they belonged.

I do think these have some potential as they were extremely easy, relatively healthy and easy to pack for lunches (shocking I know given the name). But until we can find out another substitute for Rice Malt Syrup, or actually find the real thing, I say..stay away.

3 comments:

Nate Hanson said...

I was nearly tempted to add them to my very short list of things I don't eat, but technically they were better for you than watermelon, so I refrained.

Anonymous said...

Gert, you may want to consult your historical gene pool for cooking substitutions. Mom was the queen of subbing something that looks like what it was suppose to have been. That is how dad and I ended up eating chicken with raisin brand breading (was not crushed) and burnt little raisins stuck and still smoking all over the place. Hey, we were out of corn flakes...
Uncle Todd

Greta Hanson said...

Ahh...good to know I've got a little Grandma in me! That is a great story..