Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Did That Just Happen?

I was all set to enjoy a quick 2-day trip to NYC for work. A little business, a fun conference, a great dinner with a partner.
After the 'little business' on Tuesday, I went to check-into my hotel.

Now I knew going into it that this hotel would be different than the typical hotels GMI puts me up in. I chose this hotel because it was GENERAL MILLS recommended, but still cheap.

This is what I was expecting for rooms:


This is what I got (can anyone say UNDERDELIVER?):




*(NOTE: These pictures actually make the room look nicer than actual as you cannot see the stains, cracks, bugs, etc)

Now I am one that can appreciate a really nice hotel room, but not someone that cannot 'rough' it for one night. But when you have to UNPLUG the alarm clock to plug in your window air conditioner, avoid the weird crusty substance on the headboard, question the BUNSON burner that is next to the sink, investigate the numerous stains that populated the room, put a chair against the door in the absence of a dead bolt, OR enter the room with windows wide open (as in no screens or anything protecting the room for the eements, and by elements i mean cockroaches and other unsavory city-dwelling creatures) one must take pause and ask themsleves if they really can spend a night and survive.

And poor Katie and Nate both received teary calls about how to get another room. So I called our wonderful travel agents, and they couldn't help. So I stayed.
And I "slept" (I use this loosely) with the 14 inch TV and all of the lights on.

Itgot more interesting at about 11PM when my phone died and i realized that I only brought half of my charger, so it was shaping up to be something straight out of a horror movie. But sure as I am here blogging to you now, I did survive the night.
Now that I am home and am researching this god foresaken place, I learn that many famous rock-stars have in fact died in this hotel, which I suppose explains the bunson burners and my assumption there were for some ingestion of drugs is probably not far off.

And Mom--I write this to you because you would most likely be the one who is the MOST horrified at the conditions--I have learned my lesson. No amount of "holistic margin management' will ever be enough to not stay at the W again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice place your employer has on their recomended list. Perhaps they don't know the actual condition of said oasis...or it is their way of downsizing without using HR, hey if you get bumped off in a motel run by Norman Bates it's not their fault. Glad you survived...
Wait a minute...it's June. Nice work...I almost fell for it again, I mean the finger and April fools and all. Ha ha ha, I caught on.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

GEEZ, I bet you will be clueing in some travel agents on this spot....

Sounds like a real nasty spot.....


dad

Scorpicon said...

Sounds awful! Right now I'm so glad my sister lives in Brooklyn, cause I wouldn't want to have to deal with that place.

emily said...

o. m. g.

you poor thing.

i would have curled up into a ball and cried.

Anonymous said...

OPEN WINDOWS!!! NO LOCK!!! WHITE"STUFF" ON THE BEDPOST!!....BUT NO!!!! NOT A "BUG"!!!!! IN NEW YORK CITY!!!!...REMEMBER "THE BUG" YOU HAD FIT ABOUT WHEN REBECCA GRADUATED FROM BASIC...THOUGHT WE'D HAVE TO TIE YOU UP TO KEEP YOU IN THAT 'BED-BUG MOTEL"...YOU DO HAVE ADVENTURES!!! TOF