Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wheels

We are on the hunt for a new car.

It is a really frustrating process because we aren't "car" people where we are super concerned with performance, etc.

BUT, we do have a fairly long list, that is semi-contradictory, that we DO want.

We want to get a good deal since let's face it the car dealers are looking to make a sale.

We want it to be safe and reliable so any little ones in the future can be toted around without worry.

We need it to haul a bike.

We want it to be small so as to not be an 'old-person's' sudan.

We want it to have good gas mileage.

And we want leather and heated seats. Is that so much to ask?

We have lucked out with some great salespeople (thank you Toyota) and some real douche-bags (ahem..Saturn and Hyundai). Yeah..I just said that.

Does anyone LOVE their car out there andt hink we should go out and test drive it? Let us know..the sky is the limit right now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the vision for bike hauling? There are systems that allow you to strap a bike to the front or rear of pretty much ALL vehicles. Looking for roof mounted hauling? Again after market stuff galore. My granolas are getting soft...heated leather seats? nice in winter, burn you in summer. Must balance milage vs what you want. I get around 14mpg but I am ok with it because I use the truck as a truck. Suggest calculating actual cost of mpg differences at current gas prices based on your average miles traveled in a year and do the math on how much $ can be saved. Also look at tire sizes and replacement cost. Oil changes will be pretty consistant. Insurance costs could vary too. Trailer hitch? rated for hauling? If purchasing new do online search for invoice pricing. My credit union has books with this info. HUGE tool for negotiations. Has factory ordering codes and usually freaks out the feather merchants (sales reps). Let me know I can assist if needed.
Uncle Todd

Debra Fiterman said...

I love, love, LOVE my car. Ford Escape...and you can get a hybrid! I say give it a whirl. http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/

Scorpicon said...

My '07 Jetta fits your criteria. Leather, heated seats, good gas mileage (the 2.0 turbo gets even better), roof-rack available, ABS, traction control, child-seat hook-ins, small but not teeny, huge trunk, excellent safety rating.

Also, I LOVE driving my car, and it was relatively cheap, even pretty much fully loaded.

Best of luck!

Kara Frank said...

I have a Mazda CX7 which I love - but even more - we love the place we got it. Definetly worth a look - Poquetauto.com They located at 100 and 55, and SO beyond easy. The keys are in every car, just sit in anything and drive whatever you want whenever you want.

Amy J said...

Oh no you DIDN'T just dis the HYUNDAI folk!

Anonymous said...

Love my Ford Escape, FWIW. If you are considering anything from Ford Motor Company brands, let me know so I can get you set up with the employee "friends and family" discount. Hope to see you again when you're in Chicago - where we make the very much redesigned 2010 Ford Taurus: http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/taurus/. Enjoy shopping!
-Natalie (Finnegan's upstairs neighbor)

Anonymous said...

SUBARU........ NUF SAID!!!!TOF

emily said...

i have three children and a minivan, so i can't really help you with this... good luck!!