Thursday, July 23, 2009

Book Club After-Glow

I had book club last night, and I am still feeling the after-glow of book club love today.

One of the members is pregnant (and quite possible the most ridiculously adorable pregnant person ever) and we had a little baby-shower for her complete with Thai food, key-lime pie and a favorite children's book from each of the other members.

I have been meeting with these women every month, for the last four and a half years to discuss books, and life. The longer we are tied together through books, our own stories seem to be woven together.

I looked around the table last night and felt so blessed to have found an amazing group of women and friends. We are a unique group of women who all share different experiences. But when we come together there is an ease and comfort about our gathering. Over the years we have celebrated together, and have helped each other through difficult times. We are not a group of girls that were all best friends from high school that started to read the same book. We are a group of women that have been brought together by books. But it isn't just books that connect us anymore.

I always leave book club with a huge smile on my face, and a smile in my heart. I imagine us growing old (it's true ladies..we will live past 2012, and eventually be old one day) still reading books, talking about our lives and kids, still gathering monthly and still enjoying each other's company in a way that a group of women connected through a book club only can.

3 comments:

Debra Fiterman said...

I was in complete book club afterglow last night too. You promised it wouldn't die and it didn't! I heart book club...and I heart all my ladies in it! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Don't your ButtaFones have an "app" for book club? You should activate the holographic deck feature with complentary time travel then you could go to where the book takes place.
Uncle Todd

rachel rosen said...

that was so sweet Greta....crying now....and smiling

long-live book club!