Monday, July 20, 2009

An Introduction to Minneapolis

Nate and I were SO excited to host Meghan in Minneapolis this weekend. It was so much fun to have a familiar face in town as I have recently been so homesick for my family lately. This was exactly what the doctor ordered!

Friday night, I had all of my Big G work friends over for a BBQ and game night. ALL of my friends from work said they thought Meghan was super cool and loved how she just folded into the group like she had always been friends with them. I love when my friends and family combine. It is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

Know what else is one of my favorite things? Hamburger cake.


Oh yeah--four layers of Vanilla and chocolate cake goodness with buttercream frosting ketchup, lettuce and cheese. It really doesn't get much better than this. Bet you all wish you were at my house last Friday...

PLUS, I tried my hand at some homemade Sangria..and I'm not going to lie. The homemade sangria literally took a little of my hand from all of the chopping of fruit. I thought the cutting would never end. But it did, and it was worth it. The red sangria packed a secret punch (i.e. Vodka) and the white was a plum nectarine sangria that pretty much tasted like heaven in a cup.

Once the wine was free flowing, we got the grill heated up and games going. It was a night full of fun, friends, family and some serious laughing.
We even broke out the record player and got MJ rocking...we also gave MJ a beer.

Saturday Meghan took me on an uber shopping spree to Anthropolgie and I got hooked up with a pretty sweet new wardrobe for fall (although Meg gave me great pointers on how to extend it into summer and even winter...so savvy that girl is).
We took her to our standby favorite place to eat, Solera. And then she made me realize how old I am by continuing to go out after for some drinks. It's true...I am old. I cannot go out 2 nights on the weekend, or else I turn into a pumpkin.
We showed her our favorite way to see Minneapolis---via bike. Nate was pretty stoked to get the third bike "Frankenbike" geared up for Meghan to ride. They had a bonding period but Meghan was an expert biker by the end of our tour de ridiculous homes on Lake of the Isles.

And, probably the person most happy to see Meghan was Lucy. There was an immediate bond, and Meghan learned the paws on the couch trick. Have you ever seen a person look so excited to have a cat in her lap? Seriously, this is why we heart Meghan.
It was a great weekend, and I am hoping Meghan gets a job offer up here so that we have a little bit of the Ekern clan up in Minneapolis. So...if anyone knows an agency that needs a great copywriter...let me know and maybe I can get you an interview with Meghan.

3 comments:

meghann said...

yumo hamburger cake. and i love that you refer to lucy as a person...lol very nice little kitty I must say. miss you guys already...and the food!! m.

Anonymous said...

You kids sure know how to have fun. Write the book!
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

better get the red sangria recipe to mom...maybe we can cook up a batch when you gals are home...Glad to see Meghan liked the Cities!!

dad