Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Start Spreading the News Part 1

I am still humming a mix of "New York, New York", Christmas Carols, and Mary Poppins after one amazing weekend in NYC with Summer and Katie. This idea was born while we were cheering on the Packers, and less than one month later we were on a plane headed out to NYC to do "Christmas in New York."


And Christmas in New York we did. From window displays to ice skating to christmas trees and wreaths to caroling and pretty much everything in between we did it all. So much so that it is necessary to split into two blog posts (and partly because I can really only procrastinate my final for so long).


So..the first day we got there we strolled along SoHo, The Village, and other locales popping into fun shops, getting some delicious treats (Rice to Riches, PinkBerry, and Lombardi's pizza) and planning the rest of our trip.

The Christmas festivities truly began when we couldn't make up our mind on where to go for dinner, and decided to base our decision on the place in Little Italy that had the best Christmas decorations outside. Here was the winner (and the food was delicious):

Saturday took us to mid-town bright and early for a 'work assignment.' We took our job very seriously and acted like total marketing dorks..but it was very fun. P&G has a pop-up store for the holidays that allows consumers to interact with their products and learn about them on a deeper level. Here we are "doing laundry"...I warned you we were dorks.


After our assignment we checked out all of the fabulous window displays. For the record-Bergdorf Goodman was hands down the winner. We waited in line for Mary Poppins tickets in the new fancy schmancy TKTS line.


Yes, we went to Mary Poppins. And it was GREAT! So good. You can tell the ball of energy we were from this picture below.


After the show we were high-stepping and kicking-our way down Avenue of the America's and came across the ice-skating rink in Bryant Park. Since we were 'scheduled' to skate the next day in Cental park we decided to practice a little. Here is Summer and I with the Empire State Building in the background.

Ironically, one of the practice pictures we took randomly came true the next day on actual skates.

Ice Skating was INCREDIBLE. It was one of those things that you see in the movies and I just felt like a little kid filled with CHristmas joy while we were on the ice. The little kid part faded the next day when my knee ached from my digger. But on the bright side I still have all my teeth, and I don't have a cleft lip from my ice skate.

After skating we went for a short walk through Central Park, but a high windchill encouraged us to go find some hot cocoa. It was a perfect afternoon.
Also of note, the best candy store in the entire world. Dylans. YUM. LIterally they have every single kind of candy imaginable. I didn't buy a single thing. I think it was the single hardest test of my will power ever. But I am only 3 days away from my goal of no candy for a third of a year!! Yippee!!


Alright, well that recaps about half. of the trip. Let me tell you that the BEST moment is yet to come. It tops candy, and shopping and ice skating! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder you fell ice skating you were wearing toe pickers. We need to get you into some hockey skates.
Uncle Todd

Becca said...

WOW! Just now getting around to reading all of this! What an amazing first half! Sittercity did an event at Dylans. Not when I was there of course bc obviously I would have told you all about it. Can't believe you bought NOTHING. Will power of STEEL.