Monday, December 1, 2008

Notes on a Sidebar

I've seen a few comments come through on a few sidebar items, so I thought I would take this moment (while I am in class getting a fine education) to update you on a few of these:

First: Yes, I am reading the Twilight series. I got 'roped' into it because a few of my friends were reading it, and going to the movie. So i had to quick read the 1st one in time to see the movie. So Jessica--yes..I am and did see the movie. AND it was bad. I think it was really bad for me because I literally read the book all day and went right to the movie. Plus, I am always in the camp of the book being better than the movie.

But, it clearly didn't scare me away as I am on book 2.

Second: Let me steer you loyal blog readers (literally) away from a few books that I have read recently and did not care for enough to recommend. The Family Diamond--huge stinker. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of book...but I didn't even finish it...and that goes against my reading nature. The Tender Bar...alright Debra don't get mad...this book wasn't bad, but it wan't mind blowing good..it was just ok. I wouldn't recommend it like I would Loving Frank or Molokai'i...it just seemed overdone and wornout to me...must have been my mood because lots of my bookclub friends love it.

Third: When you are what I am labeling "Horizantally sick" (def: unable to sit in a vertical position for more than 2 minutes for fear of passing out or vomiting) all there really is to do is watch movies...so that is why this column exploded.

Now for Nate's sake let me be clear he did not watch Sister of the Traveling Pants...that was for Mom and I.

And to be honest..I only saw about 10 minutes of Get Smart before I passed out on the couch for my 3rd nap of the day..but Nate said it was good...

Anyway, I am feeling better today, and am sure to be back on track for NYC on Friday!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you were horizontally sick watching tv you did rotate the tv 90 degrees so as you were seeing an upright screen, otherwise your melon had to work harder processing the picture and "translating" it to your horizontal orientation...here to help.
Uncle Todd

Norbyah said...

Okay, this is Norbyah, a friend of Emily's. I've been following your blog pretty consistently since she changed over to blogspot. I also read your sister Becca's blogspot too. Anyhow, I really have to say how much I enjoy your sidebars. I've often come to look at yours to get ideas for things for my sidebars. That said, I am also growing increasingly interested in the Twilight series. As a high school teacher, it is all the rage with my students...but I've heard about adults my age enjoying it too....Anyhow, I may give it a go. Anyhow, I have a reading recommendation for you - have you read The Book Theif? If not, I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Anyhow...it's a pleasure to be commenting on and making your "online" acquaintance. One day, perhaps, I'll meet you or your sister through Emily.