Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wrath of God

Mother Nature decided to give us a run for our money this weekend. We had a terrible storm on Saturday evening. I feel a little bit at fault because Nate and I were driving back home when we heard about the Tornado warning on the radio and I said "I feel like St. Louis Park never gets hit. We must be in the lucky jetstream or something."

Well clearly there is some irony in that statement since about oh...20 minutes later this happened:



That was a live action shot taken by Nate. Meanwhile, I was in the basement with Lucy because once I saw the wind and the hail hit, I was out of there. Lucy may have just lost one of her 347 lives.

So I emerged from the basement, and Nate and I assessed the damage.

We had a part of our tree go down in the back yard. The first thing out of Nate's mouth was "It fell the wrong way!" because he really wants a new garage. Nice.



All of our landscaping and plants that I literally planted last weekend were completely demolished....remember how I was saying I felt hold because I was excited about window boxes and annuals? Well this is not exactly a picture of excitement anymore.


But most upsetting was my herb garden. Nate and I were admiring how lush and full it was about 15 minutes before the storm hit (Not even overexaggerating)...and talking about how we should be trimming it because it was so full. We enjoyed fresh basil on pasta last night in fact and talked about how delicious all of our meals would be with all of the fresh herbs. Well....here is our herb garden now:


Oh yeah...I thought I was SO smart for remembering to move them in next to the house. Next time I will literally bring everything possible into our tiny little house.

Did I tell you that it looked like we had a few inches of snow on the ground? Our neighbors were SHOVELING the snow off the driveway, and we shoveled the porch.


The eery thing about it was after the storm passed and we went outside you felt like you were in a horror movie because all of the steam coming from the hail, but when you breathed in and out you could see your breath.

Plus, it literally smelled like Christmas. I think it was because of all of the plants that just got smoked, but with the hail looking like snow and the smell in the air I half expected to see Santa Clause.



But even as I still mourn our blue ribbon herb garden, I realize it could have been a lot worse...and besides I know a good insurance guy.










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really a nasty hail storm...something for your life scrapbook. As soon as you told me about the tree branch I could just hear Nate say "It fell the wrongway!!!!" Hopefully some of the plants will bounce back!
love
dad

Anonymous said...

HEY KIDS...WE GOT HIT IOWA TOO...BUT I THINK YOU GOT IT ALITTLE WORSE...THE PLANTS CAN BE REPLACED...BUT AT LEAST YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE,ETC..IT'S BEEN QUITE A SPRING..LET'S SPRING INTO SUMMER!!!AS TO BEING OLD, YOU HAVE MUCHO TIMES AHEAD FOR THIS DORT OF THING...HOPEFULLY ONLY A FEW HAILSTORMS..HANG IN...TOF

Anonymous said...

ok you don't know me but i'm emily and casey's sister, jessica. emily just added a link to your blog on hers, and i'm hooked on your cooking! what's the name of the cookbook? we bought a farm share with emily and dave and i need a recipe for radishes... that salad looked great.
thanks!

Anonymous said...

Jessica-thanks for the comment! I feel like I psuedo know you through Becca. I heard you are a great runner! The cookbook is Great Food Fast. I can send you the recipe tonight if you would like. I am at work right now and don't have the book with me! I highly recommend it (obviously!), and know you won't be disappointed if you buy it!

Anonymous said...

Nate, you want a new garage? I can bring up the chain saw, order up a 40 yard dumpster, have some Grain Belt on hand...the garage will be gone in less than a day :)
Uncle Todd