Sunday, July 31, 2011

You Just Have To Ask

I learned a new parenting trick yesterday: just ask.

Nate and I hesitantly left the house yesterday for his friends graduation party. It was right in the beginning of Matildas witching hour and it was already showing. So we decided to leave early and take the scenic route (ie...drive until she falls asleep).

Fast forward 45 minutes and this child has resisted the alluring motion of the car, the white noise of the wheels and the beautiful sounds of a hush-a-bye Johnny Cash cd. So we risk it and just go to the party. The car stops, the screaming starts.

Nate throws on the Moby wrap, and Matilda instantly calms, and proceeds to sleep for long enough for Nate to have a few beers, for us to enjoy the food (which I had to bring my own...thank you food allergies), and for us to feel just a little normal.

As we pulled into our street Nate says, "Thank you Matilda, for letting daddy enjoy the party."

To which I said, "yes, that was great but what Mama really wants (and I'm the one that feeds you remember) is for you to sleep for 5 hours. Not 6, not 7 because I'm not greedy, but just 5.

And. She. Did.

It was brilliant. I can't believe I am even typing this because I am so superstitious about jinxing us by saying anything good, but she did. She slept from 10-3. And I slept too.

So, now I have decided my child is actually quite reasonable. You just have to ask.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE TILLIE IS GETTING INTO A GROOVE...MAYBE SHE DOESN'T LIKE ALL THE LULLABY MUSIC...AT LITTLE RAP,ETC MAY BE THE TRICK!!! OR YOU GUYS ARE JUST RELAXING AND SHE KNOWS SHE CAN'T HAVE HER WAY ALL THE TIME...IS THE A/C BACK ON????..HAVE A GOOD WEEK YOU THREE!!!STAY COOL...TOF

Anonymous said...

HEY...JUST HAS 'SENIOR' MOMENT...MOBY RAP!!!! THAT'S THAT SLING NOT MUSIC...WELL, DUH!!!!!SEE ...I AM LOSING IT!!!! TOF...GLAD IT WORKS THOUGH...

Anonymous said...

So the moby wrap...wasn't that done by a British band - Herman Melville and the Whalers?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh Todd! Glad you had fun. Mom