Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fair Fun

The "Great MN Get Together" was extra great this year because the Keaty's were in town for a long weekend.



We kicked things off with the Fair bright and early on Friday and Finn was already versed in saying "Fair" numerous times as asking for animals...specifically a piglet.

Lucky for us, a baby pig had just been born so Finn not only got to see one, but got to pet one too!
Props to Nick for saving me from having my foot doused by post-birth pig pee...

We also got Finn back to his small-town Viroqua roots by taking him through the Little Farm hand exhibit. I think both great-Grandpa's would have loved to see this picture of their little John-Deer farmer:

But a fair isn't a fair with only animals. You need lots of food. Fried Food. On a Stick. And so we ate.
There was the classic flour-based corn-dog, The Pronto Pup that is enjoyed by young and not as young.

Rebecca got her all-time favorite: Cheese Curds. I was pretty confident that they wouldn't have already ran out of cheese curds on day 2 of the fair, but with Becca's luck I wasn't sure. Here she is with the smile of a girl who was often denied cheese curds due to scarcity growing up:

We started the morning out with mini-donuts because they are at least "breakfasty." Right?
It's no secret that I love cotton candy. I think after the fair, it is safe to say that we have a newly converted super-fan.

And you can't leave the fair without trying something random on a stick. This year for us it was the Fry Dog. A hot dog, on a stick with a french fry coating. Mmmmm...healthy.
And there was one other glorious dish: a deep fried banana split. Which was...a banana wrapped in LEFSE, deep fried and served with ice cream, chocolate sauce and strawberries. Uff da.

Random fair rant: If you are of an elderly age, walk with a limp and need a cane, or have a broken foot you clearly should rent a motorized cart so you can aptly enjoy the fair. If you just want to get to your fair food faster, want a basket to store oodles of fair food so you can freeze it and eat it year round, and are rude to little kids that just want to have fun because they are in the way of your motorized cart, perhaps you should consider walking. I'm just saying...
More to come from the Keaty visit!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!!! I think we should come up with "stick food" idea for the Vernon County fair!!!

dad

emily said...

ooooooh, on a stick. i get it now.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any chocolate covered bacon in those pics! Only in wisconsin!

Rae rae

Anonymous said...

Ahhh farm animals giving birth. Someday I should tell the story of my dad letting me "help" him birth a calf. Not sure who was more freaked out...the new born calf or me laying in the gutter with the new born calf laying on top of me. Talk about your ghost buster slime.
Uncle Todd