Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Great Food: Episode 19

First, I can't ignore the amazing moments of last night. Nate and I planned to make dinner and hunker down to watch the election coverage all night. Little did we know, that red states would turn blue, turn-out would be up, and CNN would call the election at 10:01. It was incredible to watch, and inspiring to be a part of it.


So what did we cook up for election night? Unfortunately, we didn't get creative with red and blue food, but we did pull out Great Food Fast and tried our hand at two dishes.

First up was Creamy Broccoli Soup. The best part of this soup is that there wasn't really any cream in it at all. It was all broccoli, chicken broth, and onion pureed. Only 1 table spoon of oil for the whole batch, which makes this one healthy soup!





We also tried our hand at Roasted Pears and Sweet Potatoes. Technically a side dish.....but we ate it more as our main dish. I think Nate may have still been hungry afterwards.
Anyway, at first I wasn't sure I liked them at first. The spices seemed off. Basically you take ground mustard, cayenne, and ground ginger and toss them with a few tablespoons of oil and the sweet potatoes before putting them in the oven. I think where I went wrong was that I should have mixed the dry spices together first, and then tossed.
So the point of the story is that they definitely grew on me, and by the end of my bowl, I wanted more. I think there is room for improvement, but we will definitely try these again.


No comments: