Friday, July 25, 2008

Tour de Backyard

Nate and I are very lucky to have a pretty good sized backyard so close to the city. We were also lucky to have a home where the previous owners knew what they were doing when it came to flowers/bushes/etc. I haven't quite aquired the eye or passion for landscaping quite yet.

So we do the basics. You know, water, weed, repeat.... Well, that is until I have discovered our backyard is a utopia for all the creepy crawly critters I hate.


First...there are the SPIDERS! YUCK...I no longer week because I was attacked by a fairly large brown (I swear it was a brown recluse) spider. They are everywhere..small, big, black, brown, yellow...yes...yellow.

Check out this web that a spider wove. It's like a little spider mcmansion.

Then, the other night we were strolling around our backyard checking out the foilage, and notice these flowers in the corner of our yard were DEMOLISHED. And much to my dismay, we discover our backyard is BEETLEMANIA!!! I am talking about hundreds upon hundreds of these things. YUCK.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HECK THESE THINGS ARE OR WHAT WE CAN/SHOULD DO TO GET RID OF THEM?


Pesky, disgusting infiltrants aside, the apple of my eye in the backyard is our 'garden'. Let me tell you that this started much more grandiose...red peppers, green peppers, beans and tomatoes. But after a hail storm, and huge enormous bunnies, we are down to tomatoes and a few green peppers.

HOWEVER, I bought some killer fertilizer or straight up cow manure at Home Depot (like I said, not really completely with it on the gardening stuff yet), and the plants that survived are OUT OF CONTROL. We are going to have millions of tomatoes...

Nate already has plans to build me a huge garden next year that the bunnies cannot hop into and destroy, so we'll see what next year brings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY THERE 'MASTER GARDNER HANSONS'...GRETA ONE MUST EXPECT CRITTERS IN THE GARDEN..DON'T KNOW ABOUT THOSE BEETLES..THEY LOOK FIERCE...AND SPIDERS ARE GOOD THINGS...GET A FENCE FOR THE GARDEN AND SOME HUMAN HAIR AND MARIGOLDS GROWING NEXT YEAR...I'M IMPRESSED THAT YOU GUYS ARE EVEN TRYING TO GARDEN...HAVE A GREAT TRIP ACROSS THE BIG POND...SOUNDS LIKE GREAT FUN...LOVE YA.TOF

Anonymous said...

Those bugs look like June Bugs, I would order an F15 strike with napalm, should take care of a majority of them. Looks like the Sniper Gun needs to make a trip to the Cities to reduce bunny populations...Hope you guys have a great trip, tell the people in Scotland hi!!
Dad

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you are not grinding up the japenese beetles and making vegan beetle burgers..yall are straying from you culinary path.
Nate remember when wearing the kilt one must go commando.
Uncle Todd