Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vacation Reads

Nate and I both read a ton on vacation. He likes to remind me that he read way more pages than I did. I guess I didn't realize it was a competition but I'll let him win it, and I will also give him the prize for dorkiest books read on a beach. Ever.

I thought I would give a little book review on the books I read, because I know I am always looking for some new recommendations and this will not only be a what to  read but a what NOT to read.

So, first book was: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

This is one of those rare books that is slow moving, but you are okay with it being slow. All of the characters get fully developed, and it is a complex story (not your typical single-minded--it's a world war 2 book, or it's a love story, etc). I really enjoyed this book, and for those of you in the medical field I think you would enjoy it even more as there is a lot of reference and discussion of the medical field. This was the best book I read on vacation.

Next up, was a book called Please Forgive me by Amanda Eyre Ward, and let me tell you I the author knew the quality of this book when she titled it, because she SHOULD be asking for forgiviness. Please forgive me for wasting your time with the peice-of-crap book.
The only good thing about this book was that it was short. Do NOT read this book, unless you have a bunch of time you just feel like wasting. Although I would recommend doing pretty much anything else but read this book.

Finally, I read Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald
So I did enjoy this book quite a bit. It is an interesting subject (woman comes to America from Iran and has 3 months to find a husband or her visa expires) that has depth. Now, what I will say is that I feel like this book should have been longer to truly play with the subject matter and develop the characters. It was a little rushed and contrived in spots, but an enjoyable read, with a predictable happy ending. Not the best book I've read and definitely not the worst.

So there you have it. I am still hemming and hawing over what to read next. I am having too much fun just staring at Baby H kicking around at night too read!!

No comments: