Friday, August 27, 2010

I still bleed green, gold and Badger red

Ah...August. Warm sunny days, the beginnins of cooler fall nights.

And three small reminders that I am still Sconnie Girl at heart.

1) The Vikings.

I can't even believe I care enough to write those two words on this blog, but seriously now. It sucks to be a Packer girl in Viking country. Especially thanks to Mr. Favre who make the Vikings fans extra cocky, and pushy when it comes to dissing the Pack. And here's the thing. I could go about acting like I did in WI: not caring or thinking about the Vikings except for the days they meet the better team from the better state. BUT sometimes we don't even GET the Packer game on TV, and everyone everywhere is wearing purple and yello. Ech.

2) The Gophers

One would think since both Nate and I are attending school at the U of M, we would have some affinity toward the lamest mascot ever, Goldie the Gopher. But...nope. Nothing. This house roots for one College team and one college team only---WI Badgers. Of course them, and anyone who is play Ohio State.

3) The State Fair

I swear when you are born in MN, you are pre-programmed to go ape shit crazy about the fair every year. Now don't get me wrong. It's a fine fair. And I'm sure if Nate and I ever have little ones running around we will go to the fair and enjoy it.

But what I don't understand is the obsession that Minnesotans have with it. People take off of work. It's on every news channel, and newspaper for 2 full weeks. The only good thing about the fair is it gives everyone a 2 week reprieve from the typical weather small-talk and turns it to fair-talk.

Nate and I often talk about how we love our jobs. Love the city we live in. But we wish we lived in WI. I wonder if we could petition WI to take over this small part of MN and change the state line? In the meantime, we will continue to cheer louder for our football teams, and find alternative ways to have fun these last two weeks of summer that don't include attending the greatest MN get-together...

**Note of disclosure: Nate actually does like the fair, although I would argue it's less about the fair and more about the chance to eat a pork chop on a stick. But the reality is I could cook him a pork chop and ram a stick through it, so maybe I'll give that a whirl this week. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Pork Chop on a stick is on the menu for the September Deerfoot extravangaza.

dad

Anonymous said...

On Wisconsin! The Vikings can Have all that Farve Drama. Go Pack and Go Badgers! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Go Badgers, but I am still the ultimate APF! Still waters run deep don't ya know...
Uncle Todd

Scorpicon said...

Look, I can understand not rooting for Minnesota sports teams, but not loving the Fair is just crazy talk. That would be like if I said "I hate hilarious people watching and delicious, low-brow food."