Sunday, April 25, 2010

One of Those Weekends

It was a rare weekend with very few plans, but yet so full of things to do at the same time. Looking ahead at our calendars Nate and I realized this was the last weekend in a long line of weekends with 'nothing' to do so we tried to pack as much 'need to do' in as well as some R&R.

Nate had his secret date on Friday night and we went to see Anthony Bourdain speak at the State Theatre. It was a great event, and I have never heard someone so articulately use the F bomb so many times. He is a travel/food writer, and definitely made Nate and I even more antsy to plan our next big travel adventure.

Now, we always park in the same garage when we go to any theatres on Hennepin Avenue. It's cheap, accessible and never too crowded. And Friday night wasn't any different. However, with Nate behind the wheel, it took us about 10 minutes to park and after we were parked and I ribbed him a little he responds with: "Well now we are close to the exit so we can avoid the crowds".

Luckily, I had my camera, so I submit to you exhibit A:
We literally drove around the ENTIRE parking garage to get this spot so we didn't get behind the imaginary crowds Nate must have been envisioning in his head. Because from where I was standing (and where I was standing was right where I took this picture) I wasn't exactly worrying about an enormously long line getting out of this place. Unless that 1 SUV waaaaay in the back got stuck in the exit or something.

Saturday morning brought one of my favorite events: The Edina Library book sale. Edina--land of people with too much money, who also have great taste in books. Enter the Library book sale where all of these people donate their books, and the library charges $1.00 for them. And you have my personal heaven.

This is the grand daddy of all book sales the library puts on. There is an upstairs and a downstairs. Secret little rooms and so many great books you want to explode...or go to the bathroom (but thats another story). Nate had to calm the Justice Police as a 50 year old (or so she looked) woman BUDGED in front of 10 people in line, including some cute little kids. Really lady? Does budding in front of 10 people really get you SO Much more access to the books that you are goign to be able to scoop up all of the good ones? No. So why do you make yourself look like a total jack ass? Nate begged me to just let her 'deal with her own demons' and not get involved...so I did. But it was hard.

But this lady didn't get all of the good books, because I was feeling pretty darn good about my take home. Kate Furnivall's newest book...heck yeah! TWO scores from Ann Patchett AND Tom Perrotta. One THousand White Women-Journal from Mary Todd...YES!!! All of these books, plus 2 more Sci Fi pics for Nate for a mere $25--can you say jackpot?
 Once I write my final paper this weekend, reading for school will be done and I can dig into these amazing reads!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Score on all the books...Now quit procrastinating and get that paper written!!! Or........a quick nap first and then the paper.
Good weather day for anything inside. I made blueberrie pancakes after church and then warm choc. chip cookies for afternoon coffee :) Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

BOOK SALE!!!! HEAVENLY WORDS!!!!TOF

Anonymous said...

No Hardy Boys?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

I think you should have thumped the woman who butted in with the heaviest book you could swing...sometimes stupid people need a subtle reminder...
Thats how we roll in Vernon County....
dad

jessica said...

i look forward to your reviews.... i never go to the library without a list of books read by either you or becca.

Nate Hanson said...

PS - What Greta left out of the story about my parking... that we're parked 3 levels below the street; the two above were full. I am not saying... I am just saying...

Anonymous said...

Way to give us the "PAUL HARVEY" version nate....these bloggers can sure sway a story....:))

Reid

Becca said...

CHEAP BOOKS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!