Sunday, February 28, 2010

5 Years

I 'celebrated' my 5 year anniversary at General Mills last month. Now, when one passes a milestone year at The General, one gets to select a gift from a variety of offerings...and nothings says thank-you for sweat, blood and tears like a......

SHOP-VAC!


Yup. I decided to forego the "GMI-logo'd cuff links and earrings" for something more practical. Or at least seemingly more practical and I must admit I have ZERO clue what one uses a shop-vac for, but it at least seemed to provide some actual utility. It came in the mail yesterday and Nate just shook his head as Target's idea of a thank-you gift is a stuffed dog or Target pen.

So if any of you can shed some light on what one uses this contraption for, I would appreciate it. As for me, I'll keep on keeping on at work and look forward to my 10-year gift...maybe it will be a drill set, or something really fancy like a waffle machine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY....A SHOP-VAC SAVED MY REAR DURING THE "100 YR" FLOOD IN IOWA A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO...WE HAD 3 OF THEM GOING STEADY FOR ABOUT 3 HRS...MUST HAVE SUCKED UP HALF THE MISSISSSIPPI FROM MY APT. .. SO DON'T MAKE FUN OF A SHOP-VAC!!! 5 YEARS...CONGRATS!WHERE DID THE TIME GO???? HERE'S TO AT LEAST ONE MORE!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON...TOF

Anonymous said...

My 5 year was a very nice cusinart sauce pan. I still use it!

Tell Nate to hold out for 10 years... I think Sean got a $50 Target gift card.

Marie

meghan said...

um sweetie, your uncle will NOT be impressed as he manufactures the superior competitor to the Shop Vac - a Rigid Wet/Dry utility vac. This puts a huge red mark on your niece record...we are very disappointed in you.

However, congrats on 5 years!

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg, when I showed your pop pictures of my flooded living room with a competitors shop vac and said it didn't work very well and even hinted at being an offsite R and D test station for floods for his brand...I got a great recomendation on which one to buy. Some companies have a very very tight grip on "family discounts", and I respect that. If they gave away product to everyone they would not be in business very long. Your shop-vac can be used for many many things. Before sucking liquids, switch to a non-paper filter. Have fun and what a great 5 year gift. I think for my 5 year I got an engraved paper clip.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Old dad uses his to vacuum his boat out...so...Nate needs to get himself a BRAND NEW RANGER 681T, with a 115 Yamaha tiller...rigged...should only set him back about $40,000...