Monday, November 30, 2009

Remembering....

The holidays have always been one of my favorite times of the year, from the music, to the scents, to the food, to the general merriment. And each year as it seems life gets more and more busy, I anticipate not wanting to do the decorating, the baking, the shopping, the wrapping... but so far that hasn't happened. I still love all of it.

Tonight we decorated the tree. As I unwrapped the ornaments, and placed each with care on the tree, I couldn't help but feel like I was surrounded by the love of family no longer here. As I searched for the perfect spot for each ornament, I was filled with memories of past Christmases, and I pause to remember how special each ornament and person has been to me.

Grandma Ekern


Grandma Sherry


Auntie Deloris


Uncle Art



It's funny to me how such small things can provide such great comfort. With each ornament placed, I felt the house getting warmer, the tree burning brighter, the memories grow stronger.

7 comments:

Uncle Todd said...

Nicely done! Remember them well.
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Ah, man Greta, now old dad has tears running down his cheek....

great post

love
dad

Anonymous said...

How neat Greta, I am sure each of them are looking down on your tree with smiles. I have to tell you that I did much the same thing when I decorated our tree Sunday. We have an ornament that Richard made and I have one from my dad that each have earned a special place on our tree. It's a good way to keep your loved ones close, no matter where they are.
Vicki

Becca said...

Beautiful. And so true.
I will be throwing out my "grinchy" idea of not getting a tree this year.
Thanks to you.
It is so SO important to stop and remember what the holidays are really all about. Thanks for the reminder.
Love you.

emily said...

great post, g.
wonderful woman you are, from such a wonderful family.

Louise | UPrinting.com said...

I guess that's why Christmas is the best holiday of the year. Because we get to remember the people who made it very memorable. :)
Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

GREAT THOUGHTS GERTIE...HOPE TO SEE YOU OVER THE HOLIDAYS...IF NOT, YOU KNOW I'LL BE THINKING OF YOU BOTH...LOVE YA,TOF