Thursday, October 2, 2008

Great Urban Race

Nate and I put on our running shoes this past weekend and got ready to hit the pavement for the Great Urban Race....like a big one-day amazing race.

Since we had some prior learnings from Urban Dare earlier year, we thought we were brilliant by going to find and purchase fanny packs for "quick access"....


I know..we are stylin. Don't be jealous. But the joke was on us, because they totally sucked to run with.

BUT, we were able to overcome and placed FOURTH out of 225 teams. Shout-out (Palin style) to Katie's seriously crazy internetting skills to help us solve our clues quickly, and to Amy for agreeing to help literally 2 minutes before the race started since Nate's friend pooped out.

So the day was filled with fun! There wer a lot of riddles and word puzzles to be solved this time, which was definitely my stronghold. Nate did a great job mapping the route and knowing the best way to get everywhere.
One of those riddles let us know that we had to take a picture with a street sign that has double letters. Check it out...Nicollet Mall. We wanted extra credit, but we didn't get any. :(


One of the clues led us to the Mary-Tyler Moore statue:


One of the challenges was to get 4 people to do a cartwheel in front of Candyland. Finding Candyland was no problem, since I literally have dreams about that place every night. Luckily, we snagged another team to conspire with us to get the job down.
We had to find Galooney's Pizza in Uptown and feed eachother a slice...Mmmm Mmmm it was good, especially after 7 miles of running!

We qualified for Nationals in Las Vegas but are goign to forgoe that event for a better event: The Packers/Vikings Game. We got killer seats, and are ready to cheer the Pack on.

Here was our clue sheet for the big race:



It was a ton of fun and we will definitely be doing it again next year!

8 comments:

emily said...

girl, check out your stretch mid cartwheel! you got skills.

Anonymous said...

Vicki and I will sub for you in Vegas. Of course if it is anytime soon we will be doing our own "building dare". Congrats on 4th place. Instead of fanny packs how about the back packs with hydration storage facilities...that's where you put your Grain Belt.
Uncle Todd

Nate Hanson said...

I do have a camelbak hydration system... maybe if we had filled it with Grain Belt we'd have won 2nd place (Not 1st, since they inhumanely finished almost 30 mins ahead of everyone)

Becca said...

No nationals? I thought you guys could totally crush that! The football game sounds pretty fun though too. This is a great post. I love all your photos. You are so lucky to have such a fun loving guy like Nate. Can you imagine NICK doing a cartwheel on the street with strangers....hmmmm I'm gonna say, NO :-) Great job you guys

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure i can imagine nick doing a cartwheel anywhere, anytime, ever....

Debra Fiterman said...

Screw the Packers...go to Vegas...make us all proud!! Will you people just try out for the Amazing Race already??

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming that's why you called me the other weekend. Sorry I didn't get back to you guys - em and I went home to STL for the week and whenever I'm home I leave my phone in my room and don't check it for days! lol SORRY! I wish I could have helped...but it looked like you did awesome! Congrats! And lucky you for the football game...can you yell super loud for my bf Aaron? Thanks

Anonymous said...

WHEW!!!!!..WHEN DO YOU GUYS SLEEP???OH YEAH, YOU'RE YOUNG YET!!!LOOKS LIKE GREAT FUN...AND PERSONALLY, I'D GO TO VEGAS..SORRY NATE...KEEP THE BLOGS COMING...IT'S LIKE SPENDING TIME WITH YOU TWO...TOF