Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Listmania: Recent Reads worth Reading.

I've been enjoying reading more recently and I know my little sidebar of what  I am reading doesn't necessarily tell you if I would recommend that you read it.

So, here is a list of some of my favorite recent reads.

1-3) The Hunger Games Trilogy.
This was an unexpected hit that I came to know through a friend at work. Is it written for Young Adults? Yes. But is it super awesome anyway? You are GD right it is. Warning: Do NOT start these books unless you are willing to stay awake all night or put aside whatever other plans you may have because once you start you can't stop...kind of like Pringles.
P.S. I admit it is a little schleppy of me to include book 3 in my list of recommends because it hasn't come out yet, but based on the first 2...I have zero doubts the last book will be incredible.

3-5) The Millenium Trilogy
Okay, so apparently trilogy's are hot this summer...These are probably the most over-hyped books of teh summer as well. Definitely worth the read in my opinion, and great summer reads. Be forewarned that book 1 and 3 take a little bit of time to get into. Lots of characters with wierd Swedish names. But it could just be my ADD attention span that made that an issue...

6) The Kindness of Strangers
Note: I've been told by a few people that I like 'depressing' books...and while I prefer the word serious or complex, I can't totally deny that statement. And this book definitely does not refute that theory. It's intense. Sad. Shocking and will stick with you. Also, a super fast read.

Books that were decent but I would probably pass on:
A Gate At the Stairs
The Post Mistress
Never Let Me Go

Happy Reading! And if you have any good book recommendations, please share! I'm always on the hunt for the next good read!

5 comments:

Scorpicon said...

Oh man, don't get me started reading another book! I've got a huge back-log as it is!

Anonymous said...

How many kids with ADD does it take to change a light bulb???
Wanna go ride bike?
Uncle Todd

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am reading Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. Very good so far... WARNING: It is a little disturbing and sad but I think you like that:) I would loan it to you but it is on the kindle. I am having a hard time not being able to borrow books out. I am thinking I need to loan out my kindle!

Marie

Anonymous said...

STEIG RULES THIS SUMMER...#2 IS GOOD..CAN'T WAIT TO START #3...AND I BELIEVE THERE'S A #4 HIDING OUT THERE SOMEWHERE IF THE MONEY IS RIGHT!!!THE MOVIE OF #1 WAS GREAT BUT SKIPPED SOME SIDE STORY LINES.AND THANKS GERTIE FOR THE BLOGS I REQUESTED...THEY GOT ME THROUGH THAT FIRST DAY BACK FROM VACATION!!!HOPE TO SEE YOU AND NATE SOON!!! GET ON THE MOM ABOUT A TRIP UP NORTH NEXT FALL...YOU MUST HAVE A 'FREE' WEEKEND SOMETIME!!! TOF...COURSE IT WILL DEPEND ON 'LITTLE LEO'S' ARRIVAL...

Becca said...

This is helpful! Thank you :)
Will have to check at the store tomorrow and see if we have that Hunger Game series! I need a new book!